Monaghan Township Hall is located at 202 South York Road, Dillsburg, PA 17019; phone: 717-697-2132.
When incorporated in 1745, Monaghan included what is today Dillsburg and Franklintown Boroughs as well as Carroll and Franklin Townships. Many of the earliest settlers were Scotch-Irish who emigrated from the County of Ulster, Township of Monaghen, and thus the name of the township. Family names of some of the earliest settlers were: McMullen, Dare, Park, and Elliot. The township is known for its many apple and peach orchards. Berry farming is also widely practiced. Population generally declined from 1880 until 1970 when the trend reversed. As of 2000 there were more than 2,000 residents in the township. [Monaghan Township, Brief Township History, www.monaghantownship.com, accessed September, 2012.]
Copyright © 1997-2012 • The Gombach Group • Julia Gombach, Publisher • www.gombach.com • 11310