banner search whats new site index home

Hallam Borough


Hallam Borough Hall is located at 250 West Beaver Street, Hallam PA 17406; phone: 717-755-0810.

Beginnings [1]

Incorporated from Hallam Township, May 25, 1908, and named for the township. Henry Sultzbaugh opened a tanning-business here in 1810, which he operated for nearly half a century, when he was succeeded by his two sons. Dr. John Houston practiced medicine here as early as 1770, and he served as a surgeon in the Continental Army; General James Ewing, distinguished officer of the French and Indian and Revolutionary wars, lived near Hallam for a period of fifty years. He was later president of the Supreme Executive Council. He died in 1806. Alexander Blessing, merchant, in 1845, was the pioneer in the cigar making industry before the Civil War. Numerous Indian artifacts recovered indicate village site in this vicinity. Hallam is the birthplace of Daniel A. Minnich, the noted acrobat and circus clown. Cigar making is the chief industry. Population in 1940 was 799. [Population 2008, approximately 2,500.]

  1. Godcharles, Frederic A., Litt.D., Chronicles of Central Pennsylvania, 1944, Lewis Historical Publishing, Inc., New York
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 11267 • Privacy