banner search whats new site index home

Greensburg City

Greensburg municipal offices are located at 416 South Main Street, Greensburg PA 15601; phone: 724-838-4323.

Four Greensburg resources are listed on the National Register of Historic Places:

  • Academy Hill, comprised of parts of North Main Street, North Maple Avenue, Walnut Avenue, Center Avenue, Mitinger Avenue, Park Street, Grant Street, and Kenneth Street
  • Downtown Historic District, area bounded by Main Street, Third Street, Tunnel Street and Harrison Avenue
  • Railroad Station, circa 1911, on Harrison Avenue.
  • Westmoreland County Courthouse, Main and Pittsburgh Streets, dedicated 1908, designed by Pittsburgh architect, William Kaufman.

Beginnings [1] (Westmoreland Co. Route 30) Pop. 17,000; alt. 1,103 ft. Founded 1786 as Newtown; name changed in 1787 in honor of Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene, Revolutionary Commander. County seat, succeeding Hannastown, former county seat, three miles to the northward on historic Forbes Road: burned by the Indians; first English court West of the Allegheny Mountains was held, 1773-1787 In heart of bituminous coal fields of Western Pennsylvania. Maj. Gen. Arthur St. Clair, President of Continental Congress and Governor of Northwest Territory, and his wife, Phoebe Bayard St. Clair, buried here in St. Clair Park. Greensburg is the seat of Radio Station WHJB.

  1. PA State Publicity Commission, Pennsylvania Has Everything, 1937, Harrisburg
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 12252 • Privacy