Bolivar Borough Hall, P.O. Box 3, Bolivar PA 15923; phone: 724-676-9950.
Bolivar Borough — At May sessions of the court in 1863 the town of Bolivar petitioned to become an incorporated borough. This petition was filed on May 13th. The final order of court was made on November 25, 1863, incorporating the borough as prayed for. It is situated on the Pennsylvania railroad. Their first election was held at the office of David Coulter, on the 16th of December, 1863, and Edward Coulter was appointed to give notice of the election. The elections continued to be held at the office of David Coulter until 1870, when the court changed the place to that of the schoolhouse. Bolivar was a prominent town in the early days of railroading, and still farther back during the flatboat navigation on the river it had seen busy times. The chief industry of the place is the manufacture of fire-brick from immense deposits of fire-clay which are along the Conemaugh river. It has four schools with two hundred and sixteen pupils enrolled.