Libery Borough Hall, P.O. Box 21, Liberty PA 16930; phone: 570-324-6372.
Liberty — Incorporated from Liberty Township July 3, 1893. Named for its township. The first settler was a man named Anthony who came in 1793, and took possession of a blockhouse, twenty by forty feet, which had been erected during the construction of the Williamson Road, the previous year, as a place of refuge, and was then abandoned. From this incident the place was long known as "Block House." The Williamson Road was also known as Block House Road because of these temporary shelters built along the route for the women and children of the workmen. The Wellsboro Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, placed a bronze tablet on this ancient block house. Lumbering, tanning and flouring mills gave the place prominence. A post office was established December 23, 1824, Jacob Levegood postmaster. Population in 1940 was 280.