Knoxville Borough Hall is located at 149 East Main Street, Knoxville PA 16928; phone: 814-326-4126.
Knoxville — Incorporated from Deerfield Township, April i9,1850. Named for Archibald and William Knox, sons of the pioneer settler William Knox, who established themselves here in business. Another early settler was Ebenezer Seelye, who came in 1799. The village was laid out on the site of land warranted to Colonel Thomas Proctor, of Revolutionary War fame, May 17, 1785. Simon Rexford was the first permanent settler in 1799. Jonathan Matteson and Daniel Cummings established a distillery in 1815, and tanneries, grist, and fulling mills were soon active. The post office was established November 20, 1822, Aaron Alba postmaster. Population in 1940 was 664.