St Clair Borough
St Clair Borough Hall is located at 16 South Third Street, St. Clair PA 17970; phone: 570-429-0640.
St. Clair was incorporated in 1850. The first constable was Joel Metz and Charles Lawton the first burgess.
The borough is located along Mill Creek near the center of an anthracite coal field. The first settler was Michael Boechtel who came here in the early 1800s. He was followed by John Malone (a lumber dealer) the Nichols family, and others.
Early industry was comprised of two saw mills and the Nichols Cider Mill.
In 1831 Carey, Lee & Hart bought the Nichols farm and laid out the first street of the new village, which was named for the farm's former owner, St. Clair Nichols. The new village contained but eight or ten houses.
The Mill Creek Railroad was built from Port Carbon about 1829. That same year John Burgett build a small frame tavern called "The Cross Keys," a block below the railroad depot. His daughter, Charlotte, was the first child born in the borough.
The St. Clair post office was established in 1845. The mail was first carried by stage to and from Pottsville. By 1880 the post office also housed a telegraph station.