Schuylkill Haven Borough
Boro municipal offices are located at 12 West Main Street, Schuylkill Haven, PA 17972; phone: 570-385-2841.
The borough of Schuylkill Have was incorporated in 1840. Daniel Saylor was elected first burgess.
The first settler here was Martin Dreibelbis. He came from Berks County, below the Blue Mountains, before the start of the Revolution, and built a saw mill and grist mill. He owned all the land of which the borough now occupies. He lived in a log house just below his mills, on the opposite side of what is now Main Street. He built a number of tenant houses which were occupied by some of his mill employees.
About 1811 Jacob Dreibelbis laid out the town of Schuylkill Haven and commenced the sale of lots, which were at first sold at cheap rates and slowly. East Schuylkill Haven (now a part of the borough) was laid out in 1832.
Early settlers here included Henry Mertz (first blacksmith), Abraham Heber, John Hughes, Andrew Wilaner, William Kichner, Dr. Samuel Shannon, Michael Frehafer (first tavernkeeper), and John Rudy (first shoemaker).
Washington Hall, a leading hotel of its time, was built by Mr. Hughs about 1831.