New Philadelphia Borough
New Philadelphia Borough Hall is located at 24 Kimber Street, New Philadelphia PA 17959; phone: 570-277-6122.
Shadrach Lord was the first settler here. New Philadelphia was incorporated in 1868. Charles Tanner was burgess in 1868 and 1869. James O'Hare in 1870; P.J. Kelly in 1871; John Haggarty in 1872 and 1873; Michael Whalen in 1874 and 1875; W. H. McQuail in 1876 and 1877; L. Ennis in 1878, 1879 and 1880.
In 1841 there were only two houses inside the present borough limits. One of these was built by Andrew Bubb, the other by Nathan Barlow. Barlow was an early justice of the peace in Blythe, serving twenty years. His successor, John Haggarty, the present incumbent, has served eighteen years.
The principal business men of New Philadelphia have been Edmund Ellis, Michael Rooney, Wesley Dodson and Nathan Barlow. Prominent resident coal operators were Samuel Potts and Conner & Rhoads. The Alliance Coal Company has been doing a large business more recently.
The local business is now done by Michael Rooney and John E. Egan, merchants; John P. Feeley, tea and spice merchant; Charles Tanner, liveryman; William McQuail, superintendent for the Alliance Coal Company; and Mrs. James Ennis, dealer in boots and shoes. The postmaster is Michael Egan. The population in 1870 was 558; in 1880, 360.
Cumbola, near the west border, is a small village of the township, which grew up during the days of coal mining in that locality.