Austin Borough Hall is located at 81 Scoville Street, Austin PA 16720; phone: 814-647-8613.
The Boro of Austin was incorporated in September 1888, and showed a population of 1670 by the census of 1890 — the largest boro in the county at that time, exceeding Coudersport by 145. A. G. Lyman built his hardwood mill just south of the Austin boro line in 1890, and continued as the owner until 1901. The Davidge Mfg. Co., makers of hubs and veneering, built a plant about 1893, adjoining that of A. G. Lyman, and operated several years.
An epidemic that was dubbed the "Austin fever" broke out in the fall of 1887. It was doubtless typhoid fever, caused by impure water, since the town had then no regular water system.There were some deaths, the exact number not being on record.