Skamokin City Hall is located at 47 East Lincoln Street, Shamokin PA 17872; phone: 570-644-0876.
Incorporated from Coal Township, November, 1867, and named for its principal stream [Shamokin – Delaware Indian word meaning "Eel Creek"]. Originally a borough, the tract was surveyed for Samuel Clark, August 3, 1773. It passed through many ownerships until John C. Boyd who made a second attempt to found a town. The town plat, surveyed March 1, 1835, was named Marion. The Cherry family were early pioneers settlers, when James and Joseph Cherry each cleared some land and built cabins. Abraham Cherry built a mill on Shamokin Creek before 1812. Until the discovery of the rich coal deposits the town was slow to develop. Afterwards, its value was rapidly appreciated. The railroad was built to the first mine in August, 1838. When the post office was established the place was called "Coal," but in 1840 the name was changed to Shamokin.