Riverside Borough Hall is located at 301 Denver Street, Riverside PA 17868; phone: 570-275-1751.
Beginnings [1, 2]
Incorporated from Gearhart Township (Captain Jacob Gearhart), May 4, 1871. Named for its pleasant situation along the south bank of the North Branch of the Susquehanna River. Site is on land formerly owned by Daniel Cameron. Reverend Irvin H. Torrence, Thomas Beaver, and Benjamin G. Welch laid out the town, and gave it name.
A land association purchased acreage south of Sunbury Road form C.P. Gearhart and VanNostran farms in 1871. The lots of this land were laid out according to the Riverside plan.
A depression hit in 1873 resulting in the shutdown of the Danville iron mills and the unemployment of thousands. Many of the new homes in Riverside were foreclosed and sold in a Sheriff's sale at one-third their value.