Lower Nazareth Township
The Lower Nazareth Township municipal building is located at 306 Butztown Road, Bethlehem, PA 18020; phone: 610-759-7434.
The township of Nazareth was created from Bethlehem township about 1788. In 1807 Nazareth was further divided into 2 townships, Upper and Lower. The first township officers were: Daniel Clewell, constable; George Keim and Nathaniel Clewell, supervisors; Christian H. Miller and Paul Micksch, overseers of the poor.
The first census (1820) counted 1,084 inhabitants. At that time there were 3 taverns, 1 store and 6 schools attended by 200 students.