Hellertown Borough Hall is located at 685 Main Street, Hellertown, PA 18055; phone: 610-838-7041.
Hellertown was incorporated from Lower Saucon Township in 1872.
Hellertown is situated in the center of Lower Saucon Township in the rich and fertile Saucon Valley, on the right bank of Saucon creek. The original settlers were Christopher and Simon Heller, father and son, Germans, who originally settled in Milford township, Lehigh county. They came across the ocean in the ship Winter Gallen, from Rotterdam, arriving in this country September 5, 1738, and were soon followed by five other sons. The lands they originally settled amounted altogether to about fifteen hundred acres. Christopher obtained the patent for his land September 8, 1742, and Simon received his patent October 14, 1746. Anthony Boehm, the son of Rev. John Philip Boehm, built one of the first houses in Hellertown.
In 1820 the village contained thirteen houses, eighteen families, three taverns, two stores, one grist mill and seventy-three inhabitants. For many years the growth of the place was slow; educational matters, however, were not neglected, although no separate school building was erected until 1845, when John Rentzheimer presented a lot for that purpose in the center of the village. Previous to this time a room was rented from one of the citizens in his dwelling for school purposes. A new impetus was given to business in 1856 by the completion of the North Pennsylvania Railroad. The railroad company originally promised the station should be placed at a certain location, but Philadelphia parties instituted a real estate project, purchased a farm in the opposite direction, laid out town lots, and called it Hampton. This, however, did not prove a success, only one house being built on it for a number of years, and the project was finally abandoned, the land being resold to the original owner.
We find the population of Hellertown in 1880 to be about 550. It contained five stores, two hardware stores, one drug store, two carriage factories, one foundry, one grist mill, one saw mill, one planing mill, two furnace stacks, three hotels, a coal and lumber yard, furniture manufactory, a town hall, bank and two churches.