Upper Pottsgrove Township
Upper Pottsgrove municipal offices are located at 1420 Heather Place, Pottstown PA 19464; phone: 610-323-8675.
Public school students attend the Pottsgrove Area School District. The township was established in 1889. Commercial development is located along the Route 100 corridor that connects with Boyertown Borough in Berks County. For 2005, population was approximately 4,500 residents. The 4 largest residential subdivisions were built primarily during the 1990s.
About Upper Pottsgrove 
Upper Pottsgrove Township was settled by the English and Germans. The land was part of a manor set up by William Penn and was eventually sold to a wealthy Philadelphia merchant named George McCall. At his death, the manor was divided between McCall's children. One of the divisions encompassed at least the area of Upper Pottsgrove Township and West Pottsgrove Township. A further division occurred in 1889 officially separating the current day Township of Upper Pottsgrove from West Pottsgrove.
The Village of Halfway House was named for a tavern located halfway between Pottstown and Boyertown on Farmington Road. The tavern's location led to the development of this small community within the Township. In the mid - 1900's, development began to expand north from Pottstown Borough and the more developed areas surrounding the Borough. The new residents wanted to be annexed to the Borough of Pottstown for the services it provided. Those hopes ended in 1965 when Upper Pottsgrove became a first class township, removing any possibility of further annexation.
Farmers and farm related occupations were historically the main source of business in the Township. Workers were also employed in the iron mills in Pottstown. During WWII, wages for industrial workers took people off of the farms and got them into the factories. Today, farming as a way of life in Upper Pottsgrove has given way to other employment opportunities in the area. In the early days, elementary school children were educated in one of two one-room schoolhouses. High school students went to Pottstown. A brick consolidated school, built on Farmington Avenue in 1929, was used until it closed in 1973. Students in the Township today are educated in the Pottsgrove School District.