Upper Hanover Township
Upper Hanover Township municipal offices are located at 1704 Pillsbury Road, East Greenville PA 18041. phone: 215-679-4401.
Public school students attend the Upper Perkiomen School District.
Before 1741, Upper Hanover was part of Hanover Township along with Douglass, Pottsgrove, and New Hanover Townships and the Borough of Pottstown. Upper Hanover became a separate township from Hanover Township in 1741 and, at that time, its boundaries also included the three villages of Palm, Kleinville, and Hillegassville, in addition to the settlements which now constitute the Boroughs of Pennsburg, Red Hill, and East Greenville.
The township's rich soil attracted excellent German farmers who settled in the area. Industrial activity was second only to agriculture in importance during this early period. The primary industry was building construction. This was facilitated by utilizing the Hosensack Hills, which provided granite boulders that were split into building materials. Water power was also available from the Perkiomen Creek, which flows south through Upper Hanover Township. Flowing a distance of 7 miles, the river propelled water wheels for five gristmills and four sawmills.
In 1851, the Goshenhoppen and Green Lane Turnpike (presently Route 29 or Gravel Pike) was completed. The Geryville and Sumneytown Turnpike, finished in 1865, also crossed the eastern portion of the township. The railroad further opened up the area in 1874 and facilitated easier shipment of manufactured goods, farm produce and wheat. It also allowed easier access to the more densely settled areas of Montgomery County and Philadelphia.
Source: Township of Upper Hanover