Rockledge Borough Hall is located at 121 Huntingdon Pike, Rockledge PA 19046; phone: 215-379-8572.
Home on Jarret Avenue compliments of
Kristoffer Lehman | Keller Williams Real Estate-Blue Bell
267-254-4755 (direct) | 216-646-2900 (broker)
The Borough of Rockledge was formed on January 9, 1893, from 250 acres of Abington Township. The Borough was formed primarily as a result of in-migration from the Fox Chase area of Philadelphia. As the area developed, building associations bought the few farms located along what is now Huntingdon Pike and subdivided the tracts into lots for housing. An inspection of a historic map of Abington and Cheltenham townships in 1877, clearly shows the large farm tracts which were subdivided to form the Borough. Throughout its existence Rockledge has served primarily as a residential area, with commercial uses concentrated along Huntingdon Pike. The inhabitants of this area had come to feel the Abington Township government was too distant for both school attendance and other local governmental operations, and therefore petitioned Montgomery County courts to separate from the township and form a new municipality.
Originally, the area where Rockledge now stands was known as "Shady Dell." As the community began to grow it became known as "Sylvania," after one of the building associations (the Sylvania Mutual Land Association). However, with the incorporation of the area as a Borough, the name Rockledge was adopted. By 1900, the Borough's population had reached 512, with most development still lying south of Huntingdon Pike. Rockledge probably acquired its name from an old stone quarry that was located on the south side of the 200 block of Huntingdon Pike (which tapered back toward Lynnwood Road and Jarrett Avenue). This quarry was most active between 1916 and 1920; at one point it reached a depth of over 100 feet. By 1925 the quarry was filled in with truckloads of junk and coal ashes brought in as landfill from Philadelphia. Many of the original homes in the Borough were built adjacent to the Lawnview Cemetery and Fox Chase Road on the south side of what is now Huntingdon Pike. This neighborhood was named "Strockville" after the subdivider of the property.