Marlborough Township municipal offices are located at 6040 Upper Ridge Road, Green Lane, PA 18054; phone: 215-234-9300.
The township was incorporated in 1741 when Salford Township was divided. The village of Sumneytown is located on Sumneytown Pike, west of Green Lane Borough.
The township contains four properties that are on the National Register of Historic Places: The Bauren Freund Print Shop (Sumneytown Pike); Andreas Rieth homestead (Gerryville Road); the Sutch Road bridge and the Swamp Creek Road bridges, spanning Unami Creek.
The township of Marlborough is bounded on the northeast by Bucks County, south and east by Upper Salford, southwest by Frederick and the borough of Green Lane and northwest by Upper Hanover. Its greatest length is five miles, and greatest width three miles, with an area of one hundred and fifty square miles, or eight thousand five hundred acres, having been reduced, in 1875, about one hundred and fifty-four acres by the incorporation of Green Lane. The surface is rolling sad the soil red shale. A rocky elevation commences near Sumneytown, between the East Swamp and Ridge Valley Creeks, and extends northeastwards into Bucks County. The Perkiomen flows along its southwest boundary, and East Swamp Creek through its eastern portion. The latter stream empties into Ridge Valley Creek at Sumneytown, and has been celebrated for its powder and oil-mills, which, in 1849, were twelve in number, one-half being powder-mills.
The township is drained by the Perkiomen, East Swamp, Ridge Valley and Macoby Creeks.
Its name is supposed to have been in honor of the Duke of Marlborough, whose military exploits gave him a wide celebrity about the year 1706, and who died 1722. The formation of the township appears to have taken place about 1745. The earliest settlement known within its limits was that of Thomas Mayberry, who purchased a tract of land, in 1730, containing twelve hundred and forty acres, on which he subsequently erected a forge near where the present borough of Green Lane is situated. This forge was in operation for some years prior to 1747.