Lower Pottsgrove Township
Lower Pottsgrove Township municipal offices are located at 2199 Buchert Road, Pottstown PA 19464; phone: 610-323-0436.
The township was incorporated in 1889 when it was split off from what was then Pottsgrove Township.
The name "Pottsgrove" originated from the 18th century estate of John Potts, who built a stone mansion in Stowe. After the American Revolution's Battle of Brandywine in 1777, part of the Potts Estate became an encampment for George Washington's troops. The encampment, known as Camp Pottsgrove, lasted about two weeks until Washington's troops moved on to the battle of Germantown. The name Camp Pottsgrove stayed even after the troops moved out.
Pottsgrove Township formed in 1807 and was subdivided into Upper and Lower Pottsgrove Townships in 1889. At the end of the 19th century, Lower Pottsgrove was well known for its two amusement parks and its country trolley ride. Until the 1940's the Township was primarily rural, except for the small village of Sanatoga situated on the road travelers used to Philadelphia from Reading. During the war, the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company began manufacturing tires to relieve wartime-induced shortages.
Source: Township of Lower Pottsgrove