Lower Merion Township
Lower Merion Township municipal offices are located at 75 East Lancaster Avenue, Ardmore PA 19003; phone: 610-649-4000.
Gladwyne, Belmont Hills, Bala Cynwyd, Merion, Penn Wynne, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Haverford and Rosemont. These communities, along with neighboring communities in Chester and Delaware Counties, make up what is commonly referred to as the "Main Line."
Lower Merion Township was first settled in 1682 by Welsh Quakers who were granted a tract of land by William Penn. In 1713, Lower Merion was established as an independent Township with about 52 landholders and tenants. In 1900, the Township was incorporated as a Township of the First Class.
Forming the Township's eastern boundary is City Avenue (U.S. 1) separating Lower Merion from the City of Philadelphia. Along City Ave. Running along the Township's northern border is the Schuylkill River paralleled by the Schuylkill Expressway (Interstate Route 76), a limited access express highway expediting travel to and from Philadelphia.
The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority's famous Paoli Local, serving the Main Line and providing frequent commuting service to and from downtown Philadelphia, travels through the Township, paralleling U.S. Route 30, with station stops within the Township at Merion, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr and Rosemont. The Manayunk Branch (Schuylkill Div.) of the railroad stops at Bala and Cynwyd. Other unincorporated communities within the Township are Belmont Hills, General Wayne, Gladwyne, Penn Valley, Penn Wynne and Villanova.
Source: Township of Lower Merion