Bryn Athyn Borough
Bryn Athyn Boro municipal offices are located at 2835 Buck Road, Bryn Athyn PA 19009; phone: 215-947-9889.
Incorporated from two square miles of Moreland Township land in 1916. It is notable for three institutions: Academy of the New Church, Bryn Athyn Church School, and New Church College.
Bryn Athyn Post Office (19009) delivery includes areas in Upper and Lower Moreland Townships.
Bryn Athyn residential population is less than 1,500. Residential resales occur seldom, averaging perhaps one or two per year.
"Cairnwood," located nineteen miles north of Philadelphia in Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania, was designed in 1892 by Carrere & Hastings, architects of New York City, and constructed by 1895 as a Roman brick and limestone Beaux-Arts, French-style country estate for John Pitcairn, President of Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company and supporter of the Swedenborgian church and educational system. Cairnwood's period of significance from 1895 to 1916 represents the years of final design, construction, and use as the sole residence of John Pitcairn and his family. MORE
Glencairn ... was built between 1929 and 1942. Its architect and builder, Raymond Pitcairn, planned it both as a family home and as an art center for his collection of medieval sculpture and glass.
Raymond Pitcairn, who died in 1966, was the eldest son of John Pitcairn, founder of the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company. In addition to being an industrial and financial leader, he was active throughout his life in civic and political affairs. Through his supervision and design of the Bryn Athyn Cathedral he was elected to the American Institute of Architects. MORE