Granville Township Hall is located at 100 Helen Street, Lewistown PA 17044; phone: 717-242-2334.
Granville Township was erected from the western part of Derry, April, 1838. It had at that time 203 taxpayers, and a tan-yard, an iron furnace, four saw-mills, two grist-mills, a carding machine and a still-house were its manufacturing interests. William and James Armstrong were its first settlers, William having received a land warrant, February 3, 1755, and James one on April 10, 1755. Thomas Holt took out a warrant for 400 acres in 1762. In 1798 William Lewis became the owner of the Holt estate. James Brown received a warrant in 1762; October 30, 1765, Joseph Swift took up 400 acres; April 9, 1766, 300 acres and on August 4, 1766, 300 acres. Ephraim Blaine received a warrant for 250 acres in 1766;. August 1767, Thomas Evans took up 248 acres; August, 1766, Isaac Strode, 300 acres; August, 1767, James Gemmel received 300 acres, and James Lyon, 200 acres in 1768.
Robert Hunter Morris, Proprietary Governor of Pennsylvania from Oct. 1754 to Aug. 1756, ordered Captain George Croghan to erect a fort and stockade near Kishacoquillas Creek to be called Fort Granville. It is supposed by many that this fort was named in honor of Granville Penn, a relative of William Penn. Granville Run, Granville Gap, Granville R. R. station all took their names from this fort.