Port Allegany Borough
Port Allegany Borough Hall is located at 1 Maple Street, Port Allegany, PA 16743; phone: 814-642-2526.
Port Allegany was the center of the tremendous lumbering operations along the Allegheny River that reached their peak between 1830 and 1840. Raftsmen thought nothing of returning from Pittsburgh on foot, making as many as 20 such trips a year. Later, when oil was discovered, the rafts were used to convey barreled oil down the Allegheny. Expert riverment rom other parts of the country found employment here; newcomers carried little impedimenta but never failed to bring their songs.
The site of the town was known to the Indians as Canoe Place, because they often paused here to build canoes after long overland journeys. After the signing of the Fort Stanwix treaty of 1784, vast tracts of this region were bought by individuals and in many cases disposed of by lottery. Samuel Stanton purchased 1,000 acres on the site of Port Allegany; his son Daniel, with several others, arrived in 1824 and built a saw mill. Port Allegany grew up around the usual town square, upon which the business section fronts. [In 1940 Port Allegany contained] ... large mansions, small houses, and a group of modernistic cottages and bungalows lend the town architectural variety. Industrial establishments include a bark extract plant, two glass factories, a silk mill, and a toy factory.