Montoursville Borough Hall is located at 617 North Loyalsock Avenue, Montoursville PA 17754; phone: 570-368-2486.
Montoursville was laid out by John Burrows in 1820. It was incorporated as a borough 30 years later. It received its name in remembrance of Andrew Montour, whose Indian town, "Otstuagy," was situated near the mouth of Loyalsock Creek. For many years prior to the establishment of a post office in 1831, the town was composed of two sections. The eastern part of the borough was called "Coffee Town," and the western portion was known as "Tea Town." They were so named by teamsters who while passing through on their way to Williamsport were often besieged by housewives requesting them to bring a quantity of these commodities.
The first permanent white settler was John Else, who erected the first house. Else, a carpenter-contractor, built many of the homes in early Williamsport and his services were in demand from Muncy to Bellefonte. Among the early settlers General John Burrows was outstanding. As a boy of thirteen years he carried mail on horseback from Philadelphia to New York. During the Revolution he participated in many important battles. After several years spent in farming and blacksmithing, he went to Muncy, where he engaged in the liquor distilling business for a time. In 1796, the year after the erection of Lycoming, he was appointed a justice of the peace by Governor McKean. In 1802 he was elected a County Commissioner. While a commissioner he assisted in building the first court house and hauled the bell which still hangs in its belfry from Philadelphia to Williamsport in a wagon. In 1808 he was elected State Senator. At the end of his senate term he purchased a large tract of land near the mouth of Loyalsock Creek. This was the site of the old Indian village, Otstuagy. Except for a small plot which had been cleared by the Indians, the territory was a forest. In 18 11, Burrows was appointed Major General in the Ninth Division of the Pennsylvania Militia. In 1820, with Thomas Lloyd, he laid out the borough and sold lots at fifty dollars each.
For many years lumbering was the chief industry. Later three furniture factories provided the major portion of employment. Today Montoursville is a pleasant town with well-kept streets, comfortable homes and a municipally owned water system. Two silk mills, two sand and gravel plants, a Venetian blind factory and the Maintenance Division of the State Highway Department are now the chief sources of employment. A modern airport, with two large hangars and hard surfaced runways, is situated within the borough limits. County, he was appointed a justice of the peace by Governor.