Jersey Shore Borough
Jersey Shore Borough Hall is located at 232 Smith Street, Jersey Shore PA 17740; phone: 570-398-0104.
Jersey Shore is on the land which was purchased after the treaty of Fort Stanwix in 1785. The original grants, along the bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River, refer to these tracts, from north to south as, Forrest Situate, Richmond Situate, Richland Situate, and Forge Hammer. Jeremiah and Reuben Manning who came from the shore of New Jersey, purchased a portion of Forrest Situate and laid out a large part of the town north of Allegheny St. in approximately 1800. The Mannings named their new town, Waynesburg. William B. Smith purchased another adjacent tract in 1812 and laid out another part of the town south of Allegheny St. in 1813. In 1800, the town consisted of four houses. Within a radius of six miles from Jersey Shore there were six flouring mills and the town was the central depot for the lumbering regions of Pine and Larry's Creeks. The West Branch Canal passed through the town in 1834 and previous to that the town was on a public road that supported considerable traffic by wagon and stage coach. By 1850, the town had established its character that for the most part is its heritage today. The railroad was constructed on the other side of the river and that squelched further potential for economic development and consequently, the town remains very much as it stood by the time of the Civil War.