White Haven Borough
White Haven Borough Hall is located at 312 Main Street, White Haven PA 18661; phone: 570-443-9129.
White Haven Borough was incorporated in 1842, and derives its name from Josiah White, Esq., of Philadelphia, to whose genius and energy the origin and completion of the Lehigh navigation is chiefly attributable. The town is pleasantly located on the Lehigh river and Lehigh Canal, 20 miles south-east from Wilkes-Barre, with which it is connected by the Susquehanna and Lehigh Railroad. White Haven is steadily improving, and the proposed enlargement of the locks on the Lehigh, so as to admit the passage of steamboats of 250 tons burden, and a corresponding enlargement of the Delaware Canal, will divert, it is thought, almost the entire Wyoming coal trade in that direction, and will give the town an impetus, which will speedily advance it to the position of one of the most active and progressive places in the state. It contains 250 dwellings, 3 churches, 5 dry goods stores, 2 drug stores, 4 hotels, 6 saw-mills, 3 planing and lath mills, and 1 foundry and machine-shop. The town is supplied with pure mountain spring water, and excellent and commodious hotels, which, combined with its high elevation and pure air, render it a desirable place of resort during the sultry months of the year.