Sugar Notch Borough
Sugar Notch Borough Hall is located at Main and Freed Streets, Ashley PA 18706; phone: 570-822-9283.
Sugar Notch taken from Hanover Township territory and became an incorporated borough April 3, 1867. The charter included the two former hamlets or mining towns—Sugar Notch and Warrior's Run. The latter was about two miles west of Sugar Notch, on the Warrior path. The industry of the place is mining coal. The Borough, therefore, is long in the waist and has two post offices to keep up competition, it is supposed. A pretty place clinging along the mountain side, originally attracting people as a good place to make sugar from the maple trees in the vicinity. Without the saying, this industry gave the name to the place. George H. Parish was the first burgess. The first council: H. B. Plumb, David Caird, Samuel Roberts, Adam Schiedel and George Cyphus; David Caird, president; and Austin Gallagher, clerk.