Exeter Borough Hall is located at 1101 Wyoming Avenue, Exeter, PA 18643; phone: 570-654-3001.
Exeter was name for Exeter Township, organized in 1790 by settlers from Exeter, Rhode Island. This long, narrow place people by Italian and Polish stock, escaped the worst effects of the anthracite depression because its rich coal deposits can be mined at comparatively small cost. Approximately 1,000 miners are steadily employed in the area. The familiar coal region spectacle of dilapidated houses and abandoned sections is absent.
Incorporated in the three-story frame house at 349 Battle Avenue are the "Foundations of Fort Wintermute." The fort was surrendered to the British by its garrison of Tory sympathizers during the preliminary skirmishes of the Battle of Wyoming.