Duryea Borough Hall is located at 315 Main Street, Duryea PA 18642; phone: 570-655-2829.
The Borough is named for Abram Duryea, who opened coal mines here in 1845. For a time the settlement was known as Babel because of the mixture of tongues occasioned by the influx of immigrant miners. In 1940 there were three mines and two silk mills operating in the immediate area. Population in 1940 was approximately 8,500; in 2008, approximately 4,400.