Bear Creek Village Borough
Borough of Bear Creek Village, P.O. Box 332, Bear Creek PA 18602; phone: 570-472-3126.
Bear Creek Village, located in Luzerne County, is the county's newest borough formed in 1991. Located ten miles southeast of the county seat Wilkes-Barre, approximately 100 miles north of Philadelphia, and 120 miles northwest of New York City, it is traversed by State Route 115 approximately three miles southeast from exit 36 of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Northeast Extension.
Until it became a borough, Bear Creek Village was part of Bear Creek Township, founded in 1856. The history of the region begins in 1779, however, with the march of General John Sullivan and his troops on their way from Easton to Iroquois territory in New York. Ordered by General George Washington to retaliate for the Native American and Tory attack on settlers in Wyoming Valley in July 1778, Sullivan and his men cut a road from Easton through Bear Creek to Wilkes-Barre. The road, later known as Sullivan's trail and the Wilkes-Barre and Easton turnpike, opened the Wyoming Valley and other regions of Northeastern Pennsylvania for development. The Bear Creek region remained undeveloped since it was not suitable for farming.