banner search whats new site index home

South Whitehall Township


South Whitehall municipal offices are located at 4444 Walbert Ave, Allentown PA 18104; phone: 610-398-0401.

Beginnings [1]

South Whitehall was organized as a separate township in 1810. The first settlement was made in 1735 by Nicholas Kern. The Catasauqua and Fogelsville Railroad passed through the township in the early 1900s. Population in 1900 was almost 2,500 people. The Jordan Lutheran Church, oldest in the township, was founded in 1744 with Reverend Berkenstock serving as its first minister. The earliest schools were connected with this church, opened about the same time.

  1. James J. Hauser, A History of Lehigh County Pennsylvania, Jacks, The Printer, Allentown, 1902.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 11627 • Privacy