banner search whats new site index home

Catasauqua Borough


Borough municipal offices are located at 118 Bridge Street, Catasauqua PA 18032; phone: 610-264-0571.

In 1853, amid the rapid growth of two villages spurred by traffic along the Lehigh Canal, Biery's Port and Cranesville were incorporated as the borough of Catasauqua.

The boro is home to two Districts that appear on the National Register of Historic Places:

Biery's Port ... is located in the southern quarter of Catasauqua in Lehigh County. The district is roughly V shaped and is set on a hill that slopes gently downward from the north to the Catasauqua Creek in the south. Catasauqua Creek forms the southern boundary of the district. Streets in the district are in a grid pattern with Howertown Road, which is the eastern boundary, running diagonally from the northeast to the southwest. There are two primary north-south streets, Front and Second, in the district. Both streets parallel the Lehigh River but are separated from the river by an area once used for local industrial purposes and by remains of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Canal. Most of the buildings in the district front either Front or Second Street'. There are also two primary east-west streets, Union and Race. Only a few buildings front either street.

Catasauqua Residential ... a residential district located in the northern portion of Catasauqua. The district is set on a hill that rises from east to west. Workers housing bounds the district on the south and east while newer residences are north of the district. To the west of the district at the foot of the hill is a row of workers housing and an area occupied by mills. The Lehigh River is just west of this area. The street plan within the district forms a grid pattern with streets going north-south and east-west. The eastern boundary, Howertown Road, is an exception to the grid pattern. Howertown Road goes in a diagonal from the northeast to southwest.

Also on the National Register is the George Taylor Mansion (circa 1768), a two-story Georgian stone house atop an elevated basement. George and Anne Taylor purchased more than 300 acres in 1767, naming their new homestead the "Manor of Chawton." Taylor was born in Ireland, 1736. He was signer of the Declaration of Independence, a member of the Continental Congress in 1776. He quit soon after.

Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2014 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 11612