Township municipal offices are located at 5581 Old Philadelphia Pike, Gap PA 17527; phone: 717-768-8059.
Salisbury is an original township, embracing the Pequea Valley at its eastern end. The earliest settlers were Scotch-Irish Presbyterians, English Episcopalians and Quakers, who came in 1700 and afterwards. They named the township for their Salisbury in England. The township was organized out of a part of what was Pequea. Many from this township served through the Revolutionary War, among whom were Colonel James Crawford and the 5th Battalion of Lancaster County Militia. The history of its principal village of Gap is of considerable importance. The traditional Penn Rock, the Penn Spring, and the Shawnee Garden are at Gap. William Penn visited the place in 1700; and here reserved for his own use two hundred acres of land, and another larger tract in the township. The church at Pequea was started by Rev. Adam Boyd, in 1724, who was succeeded by the no less celebrated Rev. Thomas Craighead, who died in June, 1739, and was buried where the church now stands. Among the early settlers in the township was Samuel J. Atlee, a veteran of the French and Indian, and Revolutionary wars, a member of the Continental Congress, and who held other important offices until his death in November, 1786. Another distinguished family was that of the Walkers, led by the first settler, Lewis Walker, about 1684. Population in 1940 was 3,579.