Mount Joy Borough
Mount Joy Borough Hall is located at 21 East Main Street, Mount Joy PA 17552; phone: 717-653-2300.
Incorporated from Mount Joy Township, February 10, 1851. Settled by Scotch Irish as early as 1768 when a small brick mill was built by Alexander Campbell. From December, 1777, to May, 1778, General "Mad Anthony Wayne," with more than two thousand troops, encamped about one mile east of the borough. The first or eastern section of the borough was laid out in September, 1811, by Jacob Rohrer, and named for him, Rohrerstown. The lots were disposed of by means of a lottery. Rohrer removed soon after the War of 1812 to Marietta. Another town was plotted, as a rival of Rohrerstown, which was called Richland, and in 1834 Jacob Walleck laid off eighty lots, which he also disposed of by a lottery, calling the addition Wallecktown. The three villages were consolidated under the name of Mount Joy, taken from the township, when it became a borough. Population in 1940 was 2,855.