East Hempfield Township
East Hempfield Town Hall is located at 1700 Nissley Road, Landisville, PA 17538; phone: 717-898-3100.
East Hempfield was originally part of Hempfield Township which was created in 1729 when Lancaster County was formed. Following a number of downsizes due to various townships being taken off, Hempfield was divided into East and West in 1818. The first settlers in East Hempfield were Swiss and German Mennonites about 1708. Landisville grew up around a turnpike which connected the area with Mount Joy. Rohrerstown, originally known as Hempfield Village, was laid out about 1812.
By the early part of the nineteenth century, the Township was traversed by several important roads or "turnpikes." One led from Lancaster to Columbia. Another connected Lancaster with Mount Joy. Others led from Lancaster to Anderson's Ferry on the Susquehanna River (this later became the Marietta Pike) and from Lancaster to Manheim. Many of the present towns sprang up along these roads.