banner search whats new site index home

Brecknock Township

The Brecknock Town Hall is located at 1026 Dry Tavern Road, Denver PA 17517; phone: 717-445-5933.

John B. Good House (ca. 1847), PA Route 625, Bowmansville, PA, National Register

Photo: John B. Good House (ca. 1847), PA Route 625, Bowmansville, PA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Photographed by User:Smallbones (own work), 2013, [cc-by-1.0 (], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed April, 2015.

First settled around 1737, the township was incorporated in 1740. Its namesake is a county and shire town in Wales. A year later, when Berks County was formed, the township was split with the respective areas under control of their respective counties.

The township has three properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

  • Bowmansville Roller Mill, ca. 1860, listed 1990; significant as the area's last remaining example of a combination grist mill/saw mill. It serviced the needs of local farmers from 1860-1945.
  • John B. Good House (photo), ca. 1847, a typical central Pennsylvania stone farmhouse of better than average quality of construction.
  • Red Run Covered Bridge, ca. 1866, listed 1980; also know as Oberhaltzer's Bridge, this 104-ft long structure spans Muddy Creek.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 10248 • Privacy