Adamstown Borough Hall is located at 3000 North Reading Road, Adamstown PA 19501; phone: 7.
Incorporated from East Cocalico and Brecknock townships, April 2, 1850. William Adams was the pioneer settler in 1761, and he laid out the town plot in twenty-eight lots of one acre each, and twenty-nine of one-half acre each, and other adjacent lots, with a street of four perches, running east and west. He first called it "Adamsburry." The town adjoins the Berks County line, and is on the old stage route, laid out in 1772, formerly traveled by members of Congress to and from Washington, D.C. An Indian village once covered the site of the borough.
On February 14, 1814, John Frymeyer and his wife, Catherine, gave a tract of land for the erection of religious and educational edifices, which has since been used for that purpose. The post office was established in 1835.
The principal industry, for many years, was the manufacture of woolen hats. Others are tanneries, distilleries, gristmills, and cigar manufacture. A printing office was opened in 1873. Hosiery has also been a local product. Population in 1940 was 955.