banner search whats new site index home

Throop Borough

Throop Borough Hall is located at 436 Sanderson Street, Throop PA 18512; phone: 570-489-8311.

Throop Borough was incorporated in 1894 from Dickson City Borough and named in honor of Benjamin Henry Throop, who came from New Jersey and supplied the area with a gas and water company and three banks. Before its incorporation, Throop was known as the village of Rough and Ready. Throop's history is marred by the Pancoast Mine Disaster of 1911, when a coal mine fire took the lives of 73 workers and one government official. [1]

  1. Lackawanna County Department of Planning and Economic Development, County Lines, Scranton, 2008,, accessed October, 2009.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 12015 • Privacy