Alexandria Borough Hall, PO Box 291, Alexandria PA 16611; phone: 814-669-9478.
Alexandria, eleven miles west of Huntingdon on the Frankstown Branch of the Juniata River was laid out by Elizabeth Gemmill in August, 1793. It was incorporated as a borough on April 11, 1827. In 1842 it was described as a "handsome borough," and had a population of 574 in 1840. Its location on the Frankstown trail, along which much traffic passed in colonial days assisted its growth. This was further enhanced by the projection of the Pennsylvania Canal along the Juniata River to Hollidaysburg. Alexandria became outstanding as a shipping point then. The Harrisburg Stage Line made this borough its western terminus in 1808. Flour, grist mill products and ganister brick are the chief products of Alexandria. The Alexandria Water Company served 240 homes and industries in 1931.