Thornbury Township municipal offices are located at 6 Township Drive, Cheyney PA 19319; phone: 610-399-8383.
Within the township are three National Historic Register resources: The Chester Creek Historic District, the John Cheyney Log Tenant House and Farm (circa 1760), and Melrose (circa 1785) the Cheyney State University President's House .
Thornbury Township was named from Thornbury, in Gloucestershire, England. One of the earliest and most influential inhabitants of this township was George Peirce, whose wife was a native of Thornbury, in England, and the township was named in compliment to her. It was organized in the year 1687 by the appointment of Hugh Durborrow as constable, when not more than 5 or 6 families had settled within its limits. It was surveyed in right of the first purchasers. 
The township was divided into Chester and Delaware portions when Delaware was created as a county in 1789.