Concord Township municipal offices are located at 689 Smithbridge Road, Glen Mills, PA 19342; phone: 610-459-8911.
Concord Township, the largest municipal division in the county of Delaware, is first mentioned at the court "held at Chester, for the County of Chester, on the 27th of the 4th month, called June, 1683," at which session John Mendenhall was appointed constable for "Concord liberty." The name it bears is believed to have been bestowed because of the harmonious feelings which in early times prevailed among the settlers there. The township was laid out originally in a rectangular form, and a road exactly in the centre (called Concord Street) ran from Bethel, on the south, to Thornbury, on the north, dividing it in halves. This street, laid out in 1682, appears never to have been opened to public travel. The southwestern end of Concord, which intrudes into Birmingham, rendering the boundary-lines of that township the most irregular in the county, resulted from the fact that the lines of the manor of Rockland, in New Castle County, ran along the western boundary of Concord, and, after the division of Pennsylvania and Delaware, the Rockland manor lands were patented to settlers who, doubtless, selected and were annexed to the township in which they wished their lands located. This idea is inferentially established by the fact that no land, either in Concord or Birmingham townships, within the manor was patented previous to 1701, in which year Penn authorized the division between Pennsylvania and the three lower counties — the present State of Delaware — to be made. That part of the Rockland manor which is now in Concord was patented by four persons. George Lee, Dec. 23, 1701, had surveyed to him two hundred acres bordering on Bethel to the Concord line. Nathaniel Newlin received two patents, June 2, 1702, for six hundred acres, - one of two hundred and the other of four hundred acres, - beginning at the eastern boundary of the original township and extending to the present western line of Concord. His patents were located on the north of Lee's tract, and included almost all the lands between parallel lines, except one hundred and thirty and a half acres, which were surveyed to Francis Chads, April 9, 1702. This tract began a short distance west of Elam, and ran eastward to the original township-line. The irregular piece of land, which juts to a point almost northwest into Birmingham, was patented to John Chevers, as two hundred acres, Oct. 28, 1708.
Source: History of Delaware County, Henry Graham Ashmead, L. H. Everts and Company, Philadelphia, 1884
The Four Villages of Concord
Concord Township encompasses four villages whose past tells the story of Pennsylvania and early America's development. Located at a vital transportation hub, the Township's development has always reflected major national and regional economic and demographic trends. Concordville, Elam, Markham and Ward, the four villages of Concord — (even many residents will not recognize all the names, but check a road map-there they are). The origins of these four settlements provide a snapshot of the early development of the region.
Source: Township of Concord