Chadds Ford Township
Township municipal offices are located at 10 Ring Rd, Chadds Ford, PA 19317; phone: 610-388-6368.
Chadds Ford Township changed its official name (formerly Birmingham Township) in August 1996.
The township includes part of the Brandywine Battlefield (a National Historic Landmark) plus a number of National Register properties, including Chadds Ford Village, a registered "district." Individual properties include the William Brinton House (1704 - a National Historic Landmark), the Gilpin Homestead (circa 1754), the John Chadd House (circa 1725), the William Painter Farm (circa 1707), the N.C. Wyeth House (circa 1911 and 1926), and the William Twaddel mill and house (circa 1820).
William Brinton House
Constructed in 1704, this farmhouse, named for its date, was built of stone from a nearby quarry and serves as an illustration of the early manor house in the Delaware Valley. As restored, the house is an oblong two and a half story structure with a full cellar and a brick chimney at each end. The steep roof has six dormer windows and there are pent eaves over the first floor windows on the north and south sides of the house. As an example of a comfortable country house in the early Pennsylvania settlement, the 1704 House provides an interesting example of the blending of English 17th-century house design with local Pennsylvania building traditions. – more