banner search whats new site index home

Lykens Borough

Lykens Borough Hall is located at 200 West Main Street, Lykens PA 17048; phone: 717-453-8303.

Beginnings [1]

Lykens was incorporated from Wiconisco Township, April 3, 1872. Laid out by Edward Gratz, in 1848, who named the place for its historic valley, where rich deposits of coal, first discovered in 1825, by Jacob Burd and RIchard Kimes, provided the chief industry for the region which was considered an important center. Lykens is separated from the village of Wiconisco by Wiconsico Creek.

  1. Godcharles, Frederic A., Litt.D., Chronicles of Central Pennsylvania, 1944, Lewis Historical Publishing, Inc., New York
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 11831 • Privacy