Dauphin Borough Hall is located at 200 Church Street, Dauphin PA 17018; phone: 717-921-2633.
A river [Susquehanna] resort town at the narrows of the majestic Second Mountain gap, was the site of a gristmill as early as 1770. Later, lumbering leinhabitants to entertain great but illusory hopes of industrial and commercial development.
North of Dauphin, hill farms rise from the scrubby wooded river banks; mountains hem in the route and habitations are few.
Dauphin was for many years called Port Lyon, and afterwards Greensburg, taking the latter name from the Honorable Innis Green, by whom it was laid out about the year 1826. It is beautifully situated on the Susquehanna River and on the turnpike from Harrisburg to Clark's Ferry, eight miles from the former place, at the confluence of Stony creek with the Susquehanna.
Dauphin was incorporated into a borough by an act of Assembly passed an approved on the 31st of March, 1845. It contains three dry goods and grocery stores (combined) two groceries, two tin shops, a planing mill and sash factory, a furnace, car works, and an extensive tannery. Its moral and social interests are represented by four churches, one each of the Presbyterian, Lutheran, Methodist, and Evangelical denominations; three common schools and one select school; also, a lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows; a lodge of Patriotic Sons of America; a circle of the Brotherhood of the Union; and an encampment of Odd Fellows. It has three hotels and a number of good restaurants. It is a post town.
According to the census of 1870 Dauphin borough had a population of 739; the number of inhabitants is now  fairly extimated at 825; the number of taxables as returned by the assessor in 1874 was 216; assessed value of real and personal property, $100,965.