Camp Hill Borough
Borough municipal offices are located at 2145 Walnut Street, Camp Hill PA 17011; phone: 717-737-3456.
Camp Hill, incorporated from East Pennsboro Township in September, 1885. Tobias Hendricks established his Indian trading post here as early as 1750. Scene of an Indian incursion in July, 1757, when four settlers were killed. A log church was erected near Camp Hill in 1765; a portion of the two-story building was also used as a school and residence for the teacher. From 1851 to 1867 the town was known as White Hall, because of an academy by that name, but since the latter date, when the post office was established, it has been known by its present name. The new name being suggested because of its location as a camp site for Federal troops during the Confederate invasion under General Robert E. Lee. A soldiers' orphan school was established here.