Hayfield Township municipal offices are located at 17882 Townhouse Road, Saegertown PA 16433; phone: 814-763-6115.
Hayfield was formed in 1830. It is an interior township lying a little northwest of the center of the county and contains 22,641 square acres. The surface is well-drained by French and Cussewago creeks and their numerous tributaries. The former of these creeks forms the eastern boundary of the township, and the latter flows in a southerly direction through the town a little west of the center.
The population of the town in 1870 was 1,824. During the year ending 1872 the township contained sixteen schools and employed thirty teachers. Hamlets include Coons Corners and Lyttles Corners.