Osceola Mills Borough
Osceola Mills Borough Hall, PO Box 85, Osceola Mills PA 16666.
Osceola Mills is the name of the post office, while the Borough was incorporated in 1864 as Osceola town. The railroad, freight station, etc., are Osceola. It is one of the most progressive points in this section of the state, and was originally laid out in 1859, and created a borough six years later. It had a steady, healthy growth until 1875, when it was almost totally destroyed by fire, leaving upwards of 1,500 people homeless; but, by the assistance of the generous public and indomitable energy and courage of the residents it was immediately rebuilt, and today there is very little or no trace of its former ruin. The Borough was taken from a part of Decatur Township. It is pleasantly located on the banks of the Moshannon Creek, four miles south of Philipsburg and six miles east of Houtzdale. The ground on which this town is built rises from the creek all ways. The town faces towards the south and is at the foot of the heavy grade on the Tyrone and Clearfield Railway, with which this road has to overcome the summit of the mountain, six miles distant and six hundred feet above. The Moshannon Branch Railroad connects with the Tyrone and Clearfield Railway at this place, and all the freight, coal, lumber, etc., shipped to Tyrone, and from there east and west are made up and dispatched from, the Osceola yards. The town is abundantly supplied with pure, fresh mountain water, its churches are represented by the various congregations, its public schools are good, and the press is represented by one daily paper. The manufacturing industries are represented by one machine shop, two planing mills and a tannery, while only a short distance from the town are several very extensive coal mines, and many of the business men of this place are interested in them. The population in 1882 was 1,250, and after the eleventh census was taken the population was found to be 1,945. There are a number of live, energetic business men who represent the mercantile industries in its various branches.