North Coventry Township
Township municipal offices are located at 845 S. Hanover Street, Pottstown, PA 19465; phone: 610-323-1694.
Home on Temple Road Sold By
Janel L. Loughin | Keller Williams Real Estate-Exton
610-705-2200 (direct) | 610-363-4300 (broker)
The Township was incorporated in 1841.
North, South and East Coventry townships were carved out of the former Coventry Township, name for (or by) Samuel Nutt, an early settler who came from Coventry, Warwickshire, England.
About North Coventry 
The first wave of European settlers came in the early 1700's as William Penn was conveying large tracts of land throughout the Region. This northern area of Chester County was first mapped by the Europeans as the "Skoolkill District" and later renamed to "Coventry" by Samuel Nutt.
In the 1790's, the Pennsylvania Legislature authorized the construction of toll roads throughout the state. One of the toll roads was the Wilmington - Exton Turnpike, now Route 100. With the construction of this turnpike came the first bridge in the area across the Schuylkill River. Within 25 years of Route 100 being built, the Schuylkill Canal was completed. It had a significant impact on the commerce, trade and transportation aspects of the Township and Region. Education in the township came about in the early 1800's when farmers joined together to hire teachers. The wealthy went to the newly established local academies, but widespread education was not brought about in the Township until 1834 when the Free Public School Act was passed by the State Legislature. As with other area municipalities, the end of the civil war brought about a renewed interest in education. There were several one room school houses throughout the Township providing at least an elementary education. After the Civil War, school houses became larger and the level of education expanded. A high school was constructed in 1912. In the late 1950's, North Coventry joined other neighboring municipalities and formed the Owen J. Roberts School District.
Through the 1950's and 1960's, North Coventry experienced a housing boom caused by the nationwide move to a suburban lifestyle. The increased development of the Township brought with it a demand for more services. During this time, roads throughout the Township were paved, sewage disposal was brought to the Township and zoning was first enacted.
Today, North Coventry is still experiencing growth pressures for residential development. A recently passed open space preservation tax referendum will help provide for a better quality of life in the Township. It shows that people still desire to maintain North Coventry's rural feel.