Howard Town Hall is located at 151 Township Building Road, Howard PA 16841; phone: 814-625-2811.
Howard Township was erected at January Sessions 1810, by dividing what was then Centre Township, and called Howard as a tribute of respect to the great philanthropist, John Howard. Survey was made in the territory of Howard as early as November 1769, and the earliest settler was David DeLong, who located where the village of Howard now stands in 1778. Capt. Thomas Askey was also an early settler. James Packer, father of Gov. Wm. F. Packer, built a mill in the territory of Howard as early as 1793. Howard Township originally embraced Curtin, Liberty and parts of Boggs, Snow Shoe and Burnside Townships. Howard Borough was erected out of it May 3, 1864. Mountain Eagle is a village post-office in Howard Township. Howard Iron Works were first erected in 1829 by the Harris'. Population in 1850, 1292; in 1860, 1106; in 1870, 875; in 1880, 947; in 1890, 940.