College Township Hall is located at 1481 East College Avenue, State College PA 16801; phone: 814-238-3021.
College Township, so called because Pennsylvania State College is located within its bounds[*] , was erected from Harris and Benner Townships August 30, 1875. It is remarkable for the number of its little villages and hamlets, among which are Lemont, Oak Hall, Houserville and College. Settlements were made within the township at a very early date. Jacob Houser was there as early as 1788 and Robert Moore was there before him. Christian Dale began a settlement near Oak Hall as early as 1790, and David Whitehill settled where the village of Lemont now stands in 1789. Col. John Patton, in connection with Col. Samuel Miles, erected Centre Furnace in the fall of 1791. Operation at Centre Furnace was continued until the year 1858. Pennsylvania State College is the distinguishing feature of the township now. Population of College in 1880 was 1,417.
* Note: State College Borough, the location of the university today, was incorporated in 1896, 6 years after this was published.